20/03/2021


Today was the Worldwide Freedom Rally. 


It was an amazing atmosphere - thousands of people, all from different walks of life. There was a sense of camaraderie similar to that felt in a football stadium, and the noise level was pretty similar too: music, drums, whistles, singing, and best of all honking from cars and buses we passed, whose drivers even shook hands with those who were closest to show support. 

We walked through the highlights of London - Hyde Park, Oxford Street, Embankment past the London Eye, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square, and Buckingham Palace. Hyde Park has always represented a free space to gather and speak (as mentioned in my Speaker's Corner post) and it was an ideal location to begin the walk. As we passed the iconic monuments of London we encountered bystanders both supportive and non supportive, and I felt proud of the attitude of love that was shown to all of them indiscriminately. True, we encouraged some to "take off your mask!" which they may not have liked, but there was a total lack of hostility to the instruction; it was purely an appeal for momentary symbolic support. 

Naturally, there was a police presence. I encountered no problems from them, and witnessed none, despite the mainstream media highlighting scuffles and framing them as violence to discredit our cause. I also noticed their refusal to air images of the full length of the procession - and their highly inaccurate approximation of around 50,000 people as 500. Our route down Embankment took us past New Scotland Yard, where a line of police officers stood stoically behind railings. Most of the crowd remained on the far side of the road to the building, but my friend Hannah and I decided to take the opportunity to extend these officers some peace and humanity in the form of a flower. We held it out to the first, who refused. After a few, Hannah became frustrated and moved back to the crowd in concern of losing her temper at the officers, while I continued down the line. Some politely said "no, thank you", others declined with a "no" or a small shake of the head, while several refused to even look me in the eye, maintaining a deadpan stare straight ahead. I began to notice people to my left holding cameras, but I kept my eyes on the people I was trying to connect with. There were comments from onlookers, expressing disbelief and disappointment that not one of them would accept my gift. At the end of the line, one of the cameramen asked my name (I gave only my first name) and I commented that "that was quite scary", as it had been an increasingly tense interaction. My friend rejoined me and I moved away, and I forgot to ask where this man would post his video, so I have no idea where it is now. However, I'm glad I took the opportunity to show the police officers some love and respect, even if they were unable to accept it. 

I met some truly amazing people - an older man named Ian, who struck me as the embodiment of British values that I used to associate with his generation; some members of Gyms Against Lockdown, who are advocates for mental health as well as the importance of independent businesses; some young women who had travelled all the way from Birmingham to make their voices heard. Most importantly, I met two new friends from my group. They instantly showed me acceptance, generosity and support - the kind you can only see in free-thinking, compassionate individuals like the ones who gathered in London today. No one there had identical beliefs, opinions or perspectives. The thing that brought us together was simple humanity: the need to be free, to connect with others however we choose and to live life. 

On the way to Buckingham Palace, a young man was making his way through the crowd, telling us we were "half-assing it" and needed to "really show them". He was ignored, of course, as today's crowd was remarkably peaceful and would not be baited into riotous behaviour, but his actions emphasise the flaw of public demonstration. It is easy, when you're surrounded by a crowd and highly passionate about a cause, to be tempted into aggression. These events are often highjacked by trouble-makers whose actions can give negative connotations to the cause. It's often speculated that items such as bricks are deliberately made available to give rise to this temptation, and that undercover police are instructed to encourage violence in order to excuse excessive force or raise arrest numbers. Whether you believe this or not, it's true that a person with entirely peaceful views and intentions can be swept up into anger and hostility in the wrong environment.

However, the value of demonstration remains upstanding. It is a key tool for announcing public opinion, and the right to dissent is a cornerstone of democracy - if you have no right to disagree with your government, what becomes of the opposition party? Of the vote? It is a government's duty to listen to the grievances of its people. Demonstrations are also an opportunity for other members of the public to observe, to listen to the message of the group and consider whether they can relate to it or understand it, if they are willing. Bringing awareness to a problem is the first step to solving it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Infamous Maskless Shop

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

A Stand In The Park