V is for Vaccine

 I have had vaccines for polio, diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, measles, mumps, and rubella. I think they are highly important in medicine and health. The diseases vaccines have been able to eliminate are the ones that do not mutate easily, unlike coronaviruses. I do not take the flu vaccine, and those of you who do will know that it does not give immunity to the virus. Flu vaccines can only reduce your chances of becoming seriously ill with the virus, and only by between 40 and 60%, AND only when most circulating flu viruses are well matched to the vaccine viruses. For this reason I personally don't consider the risk of vaccination to be worth the benefit, for flu. I have caught flu many times (including swine flu, which in 2009 was called a pandemic and made headlines for overwhelming the NHS, just saying. No lockdown then.) but being a healthy person I recovered from the illness and moved on with my life. 

Now, I am presented with another vaccine. To me as a healthy person, the risks of the illness are equal to that of flu viruses. So far it is a "no, thank you." from me on the vaccine, then. Then I consider that the vaccine in question has only been produced this last year, in a race by multiple companies all vying for the government's enormous cheques. I'm not so convinced that these companies care about producing a stable, working vaccine for the people. So it's "EXTRA no thank you!" now. I understand if you think that's irrational or too cynical. But my question is, if this vaccine won't stop positive cases going up, won't make me immune, won't stop me passing it on to others - why is it being shoved down my throat? Why is the goal to vaccinate absolutely everyone? 

Which brings us to mandatory vaccination. I am wholeheartedly, passionately, steadfastly against mandatory vaccination. To inject a needle into someone without their voluntary consent is a blatant violation of their bodily autonomy. Everyone has the right to reject blood transfusions, organ transplants, or any kind of medication - even if it would save their lives. And it's a known fact that getting this vaccination wouldn't protect anyone else, either. So why not wait a few years, if you're not at risk? My advice to my friends right now is to wait to make absolutely sure that the vaccine is safe, before you get it if you want to. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Infamous Maskless Shop

A Stand In The Park

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies